Here is it before.
The first thing I did was clean the trunk really well with a basic gentle cleaner. Then I applied Annie Sloan's Versaille as a base coat. I painted over pretty much everything, including most of the metal. After that dried, I did a wash of Annie Sloan's Old White which was half paint half water. I wiped away some of the areas if the paint seemed too watery. This gave a really nice texture with some of the green showing underneath.
After this was dry, I stenciled some nonsensical French words and a fleur de lis. I did it on each side facing a different way so it could either rest on its side with the words facing up, or rest on its bottom with words facing up. After it was stenciled, I sprayed it with shellac to seal the paint.
Here is the final result-
I'm very pleased with the result and how the paint performed on the trunk. This piece has been taken to Tags in Hudson, WI and is available for sale.